TripGuarantee Terms & Conditions
Have a Claim?
Filing a claim couldn’t be easier. Just go to www.shopguarantee.com to file or track your claim and obtain any additional information you need. You can also call or email us and we will be more than happy to assist.
The Insured is responsible for providing all required documentation to substantiate any claim filed for loss.
Mon-Fri: 8am – 5pm (pst)
The Insured is required to file the claim within 90 days from the date of loss.
This is a named peril policy. No coverage is extended to the Insured unless specifically named within the certificate issued to the Insured. If the common carrier provides accommodates or refunds, this coverage will cover any additional expenses incurred above and beyond those reimbursements received.
The certificate of coverage is effective the date provided on your certificate of coverage up to the time of departure.
All Other Coverage
Starts on the departure date if payment has been provided prior to departure.
Coverage ceases the earliest of the following:
· The day the Insured returns
· The scheduled date of return of the Insured
· The date the trip or policy is cancelled by the Insured
· The 90th day of the trip
Any delay resulting from a covered event will result in coverage being extended until the Insured is able to get home.
This is a single use certificate and is non-renewable.
Right to Recovery: The Insurer retains the right to any amount that exceeds the total amount of the Insured’s loss.
Subrogation: The Insurer retains the right to recover any payments made to the Insured or any other party in relation to the Insured’s claim as allowed by law. Any party eligible to receive payment is required to cooperate during the course of the process and must avoid from any actions that would have an adverse affect to the Insurers rights to recover payment.
Fraudulent Activity: Any intent to defraud by concealment of the facts or misrepresentation to the Insurer will result in denial of the claim being filed in addition to civil penalties and criminal prosecution.
Medical Examinations: The Insurer retains the right to have the Insured medically examined as reasonably necessary to resolve any medical claim by the Insured. If filing a claim due to loss of life, you agree to allow the Insurer to have an autopsy performed as allowed by law. The Insurer will cover cost of the medical examination or autopsy.
Trip Cancellation: The Insured’s trip is cancelled before trip start date.
Trip Interruption: The Insured’s trip is interrupted after departure.
Travel Delay: The Insured’s travel is delayed for over 6 hours.
Existing Medical Conditions: The Insured has a pre-existing medical condition.
Trip Cancellation and Interruption Coverage
Application of Coverage
The Insured’s trip is cancelled prior to the start of your trip resulting from one of the following covered events.
The Insured or their travel companion becomes seriously ill or injured
· The medical condition, illness, or injury must be disabling enough to cause a reasonable interruption, cancellation, or delay to the Insured’s trip.
· The Insured’s and their traveling companion must have previously been examined by a doctor which advises you or your traveling companion to cancel, or interrupt your trip prior to the Insured cancelling or interrupting the trip. The Insured is required to be examined by a doctor within 72 hours of the cancellation or interruption if no previous examination was made.
The Insured’s family member who is not traveling with the Insured is seriously ill or injured
The medical condition, injury, or illness must be defined as life threatening, require hospitalization, or the family member must require the Insured’s care.
Death of the Insured, traveling companion or family member
A death of a family member of the Insured or traveling companion must occur prior or during the trip.
The Insured becomes pregnant (applies to cancellation coverage only)
The Insured must attend the birth of an immediate family member’s child (applies to cancellation coverage only)
The Insured or their traveling companion is involved in a traffic accident on the way to their departure point and:
· The Insured or travel companion requires medical attention
· The Insured’s vehicle involved in the accident requires repair and is not safe to drive
The Insured is summoned via court order or subpoena to appear in court or serve on a jury
The destination the coverage was purchased for becomes uninhabitable due to natural disaster, fire, flood.
The Insured’s primary residence becomes uninhabitable due to natural disaster, fire, flood, vandalism or burglary
Cancellation of Services
The Insured’s airline, cruise line stops offering all services for a minimum of 24 consecutive hours at the location of departure, arrival or connection due one of the following:
· Severe weather
· Natural Disaster
· Federal Aviation Administration Mandate
Pre-Requisites (All the following requirements must be met)
· No alternative itinerary is offered by the travel provider
· The workers on strike are not employed and/or affiliated in any way with the provider the plan or travel services were purchased from
Termination or Layoff
The Insured or the Insured’s traveling companion is laid off or terminated from their main employer after the plan’s effective date.
· The layoff or termination occurs due to no fault, negligence of the Insured or traveling companion
· The Insured or traveling companion has been employed in a full time position with the company for a minimum of 12 consecutive months
In the event the Insured or their traveling companion is reassigned or has their personal leave revoked except for the following reasons:
· Due to war
· Mobilization of the unit or base
· Reassignment of unit
· War Powers Act
· Due to disciplinary action
Extended Delay of Travel
The Insured misses over half the total length of the trip due to travel being delayed.
· Travel Delay Coverage must be included in policy purchased
· The delay must occur due to a covered reason as outlined within the travel delay coverage terms
Deposits & Non Refundable Payments – Trip Cancellation
The insured is entitled to receive and deposits or payments made prior to the cancellation of the trip minus any refunds you’re entitled to receive.
Prepaid Expense – Trip Interruption Coverage
The Insured will receive any prepaid expense less any refunds received.
The Insured will receive transportation expenses within reason for one of the following:
· The final destination or a location where you can continue your trip
· Travel to the Insured’s original destination in an alternative method should your travel be delayed for a minimum of 24 hours from the beginning of your trip
Misc. Travel Expenses
The Insured will receive transportation expenses if traveling due to traveling companion becoming hospitalized.
Maximum of $100 a day for up to 5 days
Travel Delay Coverage
Travel is delayed for 48 or more consecutive hours for one of the proceeding covered reasons:
· Common Carrier Delay or Strike
· Natural Disaster
· Severe Weather delays departure or creates road closures
· Politics, Violence or Theft
o Travel delay due to hijacking
o Travel delay due to civil unrest
o Passport, travel documents, money are stolen
Please refer to your certificate of coverage, as certain coverage may not be available in your policy purchased.
The Insured will receive any unused portion of prepaid expenses, less any refunds received.
Meals, Transportation, Accommodation
The Insured will receive the following:
· Reasonable expenses for accommodation and meals while delayed
· Additional expenses for transportation within reason
Limits Maximum of $150 per person per day, up to the limit provided on your certificate of coverage
Sub-limit Maximum of $20 per individual meal for the Insured and traveling companion
Coverage benefits are only available under Travel Delay or Missed Connection coverage, but not both.
No coverage will be extended under this certificate due to a direct or indirect loss due to any of the proceeding listed exclusions.
· A loss arising from an event that could be reasonable expected or foreseen prior or during the purchase of the coverage
· Loss as a result of Natural Disasters such as earthquakes, fire, flood, or hurricanes
· Nuclear Reaction, threat, radiation, or radioactive contamination resulting in a loss
· Threat of pollutant release or air, water, or any other type of pollution
· Loss resulting from Pandemic or Epidemic
· Acts of war, civil unrest, terrorism, declared war, undeclared war, military duty resulting in loss, unless specifically covered on the Insured’s certificate
· Loss resulting from unlawful acts of the Insured or the traveling companion
· Loss resulting from financial default unless specifically covered on the Insured’s certificate
· Intentional loss or damage to equipment
· Loss resulting from natural wear and tear, inherent vice
· Loss resulting from latent defect, defective workmanship or materials
· Perishable items, medication, cosmetics, or any consumable products
· Passport, tickets, deeds or any other documents
· Property used for any business or trade
· Precious stones, jewelry
· Vehicles: cars, motorcycles, motors, boats, aircraft, and any other accessories for these vehicles
· Currency, credit cards, keys, stamps, bullion, securities
· Any mobility devices such as a wheelchair
· Contact lenses, eyeglasses and sunglasses
· Any baggage shipped as freight, left in a car trailer, left in an unlocked vehicle, or sent prior to the Insured’s scheduled departure date
· Skis and Snowboards (unless checked in with common carrier)
The following applies to the Insured, traveling companion or family member:
· Pre-existing medical condition(s)
· Pregnancy, unless specifically covered on the Insured’s certificate
· Unforeseen pregnancy complications
· Mental Health Disorders
· Nervous health Disorders relating to depression, anxiety, psychosis, and/or physical complications related thereof
· Substance abuse; alcohol abuse, drug abuse or any complications arising from use
· Fertility treatments, childbirth or abortion (elective)
· Attempted suicide, or suicide
· Pre-existing business obligations
· Pre-existing contractual obligations
· Changes to personal plans
· Cancellation of event the Insured is en route to for any reason
Excluded High Risk Exposure / Activity
Any of the following activities by the Insured, traveling companion or family member even if the family member is not traveling with the Insured.
· Cave Diving, cave exploring
· Mountain Climbing
· Hang Gliding
· Bungee Jumping
· Skiing or snowboarding by one of the following; helicopter, on unmarked trails, or extreme versions
· Any type of body contact sport
· Scuba diving activity
· Learning to fly a plane, helicopter
· Racing at excess speeds
· Motorcycle riding without license in state or country the Insured is domiciled. This applies to any two wheeled vehicle requiring a license or permit to operate.
· Training or participating in any amateur or professional sport
The Insured’s coverage is void if any of the following apply:
· The departure or return date is misrepresented to the Insurer when the certificate was purchase or any information provided misrepresents any actual intent of the Insured
· The ticket provided to the Insured by the common carrier does not show departure or return date information
This certificate shall be construed and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of California.
The parties agree that any and all claims or disputes arising out of the certificate or performance of the certificate shall be brought in Los Angeles County.
The Enrolled Member agrees to indemnify and hold harmless ShopGuarantee and its underwriters from any loss, liability, damage, or costs, including court costs and attorney fees that they may incur due to misreading, misunderstanding, and not following the coverage requirements as per this ShopGuarantee certificate or as endorsed.
No suit, action or proceedings for the recovery of any claim under this coverage shall be sustainable in any court of law or entity unless the respective action is commenced within twelve (12) months after discovery by the insured of the issue giving rise to the claim, provided however, that said time limitation is invalid. In that case any such claim shall be void.
Accident: an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury
Assault: to make a physical attack on; a concerted attempt to do something demanding
Common Carrier: a person or company that transports goods or passengers on regular routes at set rates
Covered Events: specific situations that are covered by the certificate issued
Deductible: a specified amount of money that the insured must pay before an insurance company will pay a claim
Dentist: a person qualified to treat the diseases and conditions that affect the teeth and gums, especially the repair and extraction of teeth and the insertion of artificial ones
Doctor: a qualified practitioner of medicine; a licensed physician
Emergency Medical: an acute injury or illness that poses an immediate risk to a person’s life or long term health
Epidemic: a widespread occurrence of an infectious disease inacommunity at a particular time
Pre-Existing Medical Condition: any condition for which the patient has already received medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment prior to enrollment
Family Member: the Insured’s spouse, child, spouse’s child, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, brother, sister, mother, father, grandparents, grandchild, step-brother, step-sister, step-parents, parents-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, aunt uncle, niece, nephew
Financial Default: failure to meet the legal obligations or conditions of debt repayment
Hospital: an institution providing medical and surgical treatment and nursing care for sick or injured people
Illness: a disease or period of sickness affecting the body or mind
Injury: an instance of being injured; being injured; harm or damage
TripGuarantee coverage is administered by Online Shipping Insurance Services, Inc. #OG55434 and its Underwriters